For the Gameboy Advanced Ruby and
Here's what we have done at home to really do
well in the game. If you have any tips you want to add, email us (address at
bottom of page) and if it passes our tough test, we'll not only post it, but
give you credit as well!
Here are some really neat tips for playing
Start by Zigzagooning!
- At the very beginning of the game, after
you get the Poke balls from your friendly rival, go out into the woods north
of Oldale and catch the following Pokemon:
- 1 Wingull (This Pokemon is very powerful
in the first two gyms. As a water type, it helps against the gym in
Rustboro, and as a flying type (once it gets Wing Attack) it is very
powerful in the gym at Dewford.)
- 4 Zigzagoons. (These are great for
picking up items, they scavenge for you. If you want to prove this, select
one of them (after you caught it!) and select "Summary". You'll see that it
can "pick up items". They can do so at the end of a battle with either a
wild Pokemon, or with a trainer, but ONLY IF they are not carrying an item.
So, get into fights, check them for items, and "take" the items from them.
- You will get things like
Nuggets, Super Potions, Revives, Full Heals, Proteins, Rare Candies and
Zigzagoon again later!
- Whenever you need money to buy expensive items, like Nutrients,
take your Wingull (which may have evolved into Peliper by now) or any other
Pokemon and 5 Zigzagoons / Linoones into the ash covered grass east of Fallarbor to do three
things at once:
- Collect ashes to create the flutes that
will help you (check the list at the glass makers shop). AND
- Build up your lead Pokemon several levels
by fighting the wild Pokemon there. This is the only place that you can catch
a Skarmory, by the way.
- Get more items as you need them, see the
list above to see what you can get in quantity!
- You can get these all over the place, and are very important for raising
powerful pokemon. Here
are some ways to find them:
- Many rocks have items on them, even though
you can't see them. Come up next to it and hit "A". We found dozens upon
dozens of items that way!
- Go fishing for Luvdisc at the head of the waterfall outside (to the south
of) the Evergrande Pokemon Center. They often have it as an item.
- Take it to the beach, and start looking.
There are many items on many beaches that are hidden with no markings. Even
desolate islands have items!
- Don't forget the desert and other isolated places!
- Pick the attributes for the Pokemon in question, for example, I have
chosen to make a very special Alakazam, with the highest amount possible for
both Special Attack and Speed. I want to use this Pokemon in the Battle Tower
at level 50. It needs variety in attacks, and the ability to destroy before it
- Pick the attacks for that Pokemon. I wanted my Alakazam to have 4 Special
Attacks, with a wide variety of types. I chose Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, Ice
Punch and Psychic. Since three of these were Egg Moves, I had to find and
raise the proper parents, then have about 45 eggs before I had a Modest Abra
hatch, already having all four of those attacks, thanks to it's Father.
- Since this Alakazam won't be using Attack at all, I chose to build up a
Modest Alakazam. "Modest" means that it would have a higher Special Attack, at
the cost of a lower Attack. (See page on Natures for
- I then went into the woods, attacking and fighting all the Spindas I could
find, to get Effort Points toward Special Attack. (See
page on Effort Points for more details.) After giving it 10 Calciums and
10 Carbos, I went after a bunch of Zigzagoons, Linoones, Electrikes, Wingulls
and Manectrics, building up its Speed.
- Once it qualified for an Effort Ribbon (at level 40, by the way) I gave it
10 Rare Candies and here are the stats:
- HP 129, Attack 53, Defense 53, Special Attack 191, Special Defense 102,
Items held by Trainer's Pokemon
- Black Belt Nob: Level 33 Machamp holds a Black Belt on the 5th battle!
- Rich Boy Winston: His Pokemon holds a nugget!
- Dragon Tamer Nicholas: Level 49 Shelgon holds a Dragon Fang on the 5th
- Lady Cindy: Her Pokemon holds a nugget!
- Bug Maniac Brandon: Masquerain holds a Silver Powder on the 5th battle!