Politics and Economics
There are many things that fall under the subject of politics, and here are some of my ramblings. Some of these, are not mine and I hope that all of them help you to think about how government should work, and what you can do to help your country have a better, more responsible government.
Abraham Lincoln made a great speech long ago, which used the phrase . . .
"government of the people, by the people and for the people"
Many have since forgotten that the United States of America was built on just this concept: the government serves the people. This is a radical idea even today. Many politicians believe that the citizens are there for the sake of the politician, instead of the other way around.
High ranking government officials seem to believe that the government exists so that they can have job security and status. So they can have a nice retirement package if they do one term of service.
No, it is the other way around. The government is there so that it can provide for the common defense (which it so often has failed to do lately) and to allow honest people to work with each other in a free-market economy.
The reason this has digressed so far from the ideal which we had is the failure of the citizens to understand that they have the leadership role, that they are the ones responsible for the quality of government.
We get the government we deserve, whether or not we vote!
Here's some articles to help you maintain the path of responsible citizenship. Here's a hint: Think economics first, then policy. For example, if you can not do "deficit spending" at home for long, why should you believe economists and politicians that say the government can do it?
(select title to read article)
- National Debt Summary Get a small glimpse of the problem! (January, 2013)
- Political Philosophies Take their quiz, see where you stand! (January, 2013)
- Cartoon from Chicago Tribune, originally published in 1934! (Added here March 2010)
- Misleading Economic Indicators (November, 2009)
- Enlarge and Expand the Tax Base (July, 2009)
- Open Letter to Republican Party (March, 2006)
- A whole section dedicated to 9-11
- Media Control: Does it matter anymore?
- Signers of the Declaration
- About income taxes (Updated March 2010)
- Ann Margaret or Jane Fonda?
- Charlton Heston's speech
- George Washington's Farewell Address
- Kill an American!
- History of Thanksgiving
- Mayflower Compact
- These are not rights!
- The Bill of Rights: What do they limit?
- Is voting a right or a privilege?: Learn that it is neither.
- How republics die
(select title to link to Amazon.com)
- America's Victories: Why the U.S. wins wars & will win the war on terror
- The Fair Tax Book This book fully explains both the pros and cons of the Fair Tax, a proposed replacement for the current income tax in America.
(click on title to go there!)
(click on title to go there!)
- usdebtclock.org See many fascinating numbers about government spending!
- Magna Carta Translation The original is in Latin, this reads better! Declaration of Independence Transcription
- The Constitution of the United States Transcription (original document)
- The Bill of Rights Transcription (first 10 Amendments)
- Constitution Amendments 11-27 (The Amendments added later)
- The House of Representatives: Our lower house.
- The Senate: Our upper house.
- The White House: Our executive branch.
- www.lp.org The Libertarian Political Party
- www.cato.org The CATO Institute
- www.fairtax.org Learn about the tax that can save America!
- www.theteaparty.net A grass roots movement
- www.boortz.com Talk show host
- www.rushlimbaugh.com Talk show host
- www.myheritage.org Heritage Foundation
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvVrqexyT2U Video On American Form of Government