One of the main reason the Gospel writers and other's of Jesus' time believed Jesus was because of the way that his life fulfilled so many Old Testament prophecies about the Messiah.
Because these were so powerful in their day, I thought it appropriate to gather them here, on the Internet, where people from all over the world can read and get a better understanding of why so many devout Jews chose to follow Yeshua Messiah:
They did it based on the scriptures with which they were raised!
Here are some, in no particular order. If you find any more prophecies in the "Old Testament" that are fulfilled in Jesus's life in the "New Testament", please email me with the information, and I'll be happy to add it after double-checking.
Note: We are not looking here at unfulfilled prophecies, or at those to be fulfilled in the future, just the ones He fulfilled about 2,000 years ago.
The Messiah . . .
- Born in Bethlehem, Micah 5:2
- Born of a virgin, Isaiah 7:14
- Be a prophet like Moses, Deuteronomy 18:15, 18-19
- Enter Jerusalem in triumph, Zechariah 9:9
- Rejected by his own people, Isaiah 53:1, 3; Psalm 118:22
- Betrayed by one of his followers, Psalm 41:9
- Tried and condemned, Isaiah 53:8
- Silent before his accusers, Isaiah 53:7
- Struck and spat on by his enemies, Isaiah 50:6
- Mocked and insulted, Psalm 22:7-8
- Die by crucifixion, Psalm 22:14, 16-17
- Suffer with criminals and pray for his enemies, Isaiah 53:12
- Given vinegar, Psalm 69:21
- Others were to cast lots for his clothing, Psalm 22:18
- His bones were not to be broken, Exodus 12:46
- He was to die as a sacrifice for sin, Isaiah 53:5-6, 8, 10-12
- Raised from the dead, Psalm 16:10
- Now at God's right hand, Psalm 110:1
These do not include events other than prophecies which point toward the Messiah. For example, many say that when Moses raised the Bronze Snake (still used by today's medical profession as a symbol!) it was a symbolic type of the Messiah, for whoever looked at the snake was healed, as those that look to the cross are healed.
That would be a separate list of its own!