Handmaiden or Bride?
A very common phrase heard in American Christian Churches these days is the phrase "Bride of Christ". It is used to describe the church, and has biblical backing. Yet, the phrase causes me some concern.
Not the phrase but the focus.
Let me ask you a question, and this is geared towards the people that work very hard on building the church, and making sure that the church they attend gets all the help they can give it.
Note first, that I do not condemn volunteering nor working at a church. I have several decades of such volunteer work behind me, and take it very seriously.
But, if you had to choose between:
- Serving the "Bride of Christ", and
- Loving the "Groom of the Church"
which would be your first choice?
Serving the bride is a wonderful tradition and goes back to scriptural times. The title for such a position is called a 'hand-maiden'. If you choose this option, it had best not be at the expense of the second.
Loving the groom is what the bride does. If you value the building of the bride, become a part of her by loving the Groom. How does the Groom know you love Him? By your obedience to His voice, according to Him.
We have heard the phrase "Bride of Christ" when the Church talks of herself, but rarely do they remember to mention that they are tasked to help us to love the "Groom of the Church".
- The Apostle's Doctrine (March, 2003)
- The Battle Between Good and Evil (January, 2003)
- Heaven's Boot Camp (January, 2003)
- Cancer Cells of the Body (January, 2003)
- Born Again/Saved? (January, 2003)
- Harmony in the Orchestra (October, 2002)
- Carpenter's Tools (October 2002)
- Serve the Bride or Love the Groom (June 2002)
- David Seceded Saul (May 2002)
- Personal Relationship With Jesus? Hah! (April 2002)
- Literal reading of the Bible? (March, 2002)
- The Parable of the Sower (December, 2001)
- But Coach, you don't understand!
- A Light in Darkness is supposed to be surrounded!
- How are piles of manure and ships in harbor related?
- Should we educate using mass production techniques?
- Lenses stained by blood are red!
- Who is responsible for my salvation?
- What does the 3rd commandment really mean? (Updated Nov, 2010)
- If Satan is present in your life, what does that mean?
- Are you focusing on your spiritual growth? Oops!
- Daddy, why does an iron get out wrinkles?
- Why did John baptize people?
- True, but not helpful!